Our mission at Dwellings is to build homes and change lives. A new home is the first step in providing a prosperous future for a family. Here are 6 reasons why we believe you should consider building a house for a poor family in Roatan, Honduras.
1. Providing a home helps to keep families together. Having inadequate shelter results in stress that can lead to the separation of families as individuals are forced to look for work in other cities. Inadequate shelter can also cause parents to decide they cannot care for their children which could lead to the institutionalization of the children, children being sent to live with friends or family members creating the separation of parents and children or outright abandonment. A home keeps a family together and allows a family to care for itself.
2. Providing a home promotes health and education. Having a clean floor and shelter that protects a family from the elements dramatically increases their health. Kids are more likely to attend school when they aren't sick, and with a solid foundation, they aren't as sick as often. A home helps children get an education that could break the cycle of poverty.
3. Providing a home promotes dignity. Having to live in inadequate housing is demeaning and dehumanizing and chips away at a person’s self-image. Providing a home becomes an avenue that allows a family to care for itself and will help to instill pride and dignity.
4. Providing a home helps to avert trafficking. Human trafficking, in many parts of the world, is a migration problem. When people are separated from their community because of their need for work and housing, they are vulnerable to traffickers. A home allows a family to stay intact.
5. Providing a home helps to battle cycles of extreme poverty. When someone receives a home, a basic need is met that then allows them to put their energies and resources toward activities that will further provide for their family. This allows them to plan and dream for a hopeful future. As they pursue their dreams cycles of poverty can be broken.
6. Providing a home strengthens communities. A home can be the stepping stone that allows individuals to provide for themselves and their families, and this in turn creates a thriving community.
YOU can be a part of making a family's dream of a new home come true.
ARE YOU READY TO BUILD A HOME FOR A FAMILY IN NEED? Click here to contact our build coordinator for more information.